Buildings and History
St. Columba’s is lucky to have both a rich
history, in its beautiful 19th-century stone chapel, and the modern
convenience of a spacious new parish hall, which was completed in 2001 and
dedicated by Bishop Geralyn Wolf. The elegant and light-filled hall is
available for daytime retreats, luncheons, meetings, etc. For details please contact the
parish administrator, Kathryn Warren (firstname.lastname@example.org).
As for the church itself, in 1872, Eugene Sturtevant dreamed of developing
the land on which Saint Columba’s now stands. With many neighbors meeting
for prayer in their homes, Mary Clark Sturtevant, his wife, saw the need for
a chapel. (Mrs. Sturtevant, whose silhouette is behind the organ bench, was
the daughter of Thomas March Clark, Bishop of Rhode Island and later
presiding Episcopal Bishop of the U.S.) In 1882, Mr. Sturtevant donated an
acre for this purpose. A Philadelphia architect, Wilson Eyre, staked out the
The church was originally known as The Berkeley Memorial Chapel (in honor of
Bishop Berkeley of Derry, who stayed in nearby Whitehall). The story goes
that its first treasurer felt the chapel should be dedicated to a saint; the
Irish-born missionary Columba, renowned for his teaching, healing, and
miracles in sixth-century Scotland, was chosen.
cornerstone of the chapel was laid on October 11, 1884. The first service
was held on June 23, 1885, even though the chapel was not complete. The
land, plans, furnishings and windows were all donated, and cost
$9,096.15. The chapel was consecrated on August 31, 1886, as a mission of
the Diocese of Rhode Island by Bishop Clark (his silhouette is behind the
pulpit). The small stone building contains a most precious and astounding
collection of stained-glass windows, whether by Tiffany or Maitland
In its early history, the chapel had a close association with Saint George’s
School in Middletown. Many of the ordained teachers officiated at services,
and before the school’s own chapel was built, boys walked to St. Columba’s
for Sunday worship!
The churchyard (with its very English lych-gate) is a wonderfully tranquil
place to walk and reflect in every season of the year. It “houses” many
members of St. Columba’s who cared for and supported the chapel’s ministry
over the centuries, including some with significant roles in Newport
There is a committee in charge of the churchyard and its use. For details,
please contact Captain Richard Alexander at
The Stained Glass Windows of St. Columba’s Chapel
The stained glass windows that grace St. Columba’s, the Berkeley Memorial
Chapel, were designed by David Maitland Armstrong (1836-1918) a friend and
associate of John LaFarge, and fabricated by the Tiffany Studios of New York.
The chancel window, depicting the archangel Michael, is dedicated to George
Berkeley, philosopher and Bishop of Cloyne (born in Ireland in 1681, died at
Oxford, England in 1753), who lived for a time at Whitehall in Middletown. The
window at the rear of the chapel was given in memory of Mary Devlin Booth by her
daughter Edwina Booth. Mary Booth was the wife of the acclaimed actor, Edwin
Booth, brother of John Wilkes Booth, and a resident of Indian Avenue in
Middletown. The Booth window shows a figure holding a dove and is therefore
often thought to depict St. Columba, though the figure is clearly female and
strongly resembles Mary Devlin Booth.
The nave windows, four on each side of the aisle, and the dove window in the
sanctuary, were given by various parishioners in memory of family and friends.
Restored in 1995, the windows are considered “a rare treasure of American
stained glass art” (Julie L. Sloan, President, McKernan Satterlee Associates).
The cornerstone of St. Columba’s Chapel was laid on October 11, 1884 and the
chapel was consecrated by Bishop Thomas March Clark on August 31, 1887.
Dedicated to the glory of God and in memory of St. Columba, the Abbott of Iona,
the chapel remains to this day a vibrant place of worship, welcoming its members
as well as anyone who cares to enter.
To see more photos click